Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error Capture doesn't suppress dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

CryoGen

MIS
Apr 15, 2004
US
We're using Filemaker 8, and we're working with a solution that draws company data for drop-down lists that our users will use to complete a form on their Macs. The data are drawn from 1 of 2 possible FMP files (the file on their Mac, or a file hosted on a FMP8 Server).

Users of this database might be in a location where a network connection is not possible; if that's the case a startup script that tests setting bogus data to a global field on the FMP Server-hosted database is invoked and, if it fails, the users are sent to a layout where the drop-lists are driven by tables in the local file.

However, if a network connection exists (and the test script succeeds), the users are sent to a layout with drop-lists driven by tables on the FMP Server-hosted database. Here's where I run into my problem.

Here's my script:

Code:
Set Error Capture [On]
Set Field [MyHostedFile::g_status; "1"]
If [Get(LastError) > 0]
  Set Field [ MyLocalFile::g_network_status; "Not Connected']
  Go To Layout [Local Drop List]
  Set Error Capture [Off]
  Halt Script
Else
  Set Field [ MyLocalFile::g_network_status; "Connected']
  Perform Script ["Import Table1"]
  Perform Script ["Import Table2"]
  Perform Script ["Import Table3"]
  Go To Layout [Local Drop List]
  Set Error Capture [Off]
  Halt Script
End If

Although I have error capture turned on, I still get a FileMaker dialog box that says "MyHostedFile" could not be opened (Not Found). Our users won't know what to do with this message. I thought that turning Error Capture on would suppress the dialog, but it isn't. Any clue why, or what I might be able to do?

From the Filemaker 9 help file:

===================
On suppresses FileMaker Pro alert messages and some dialog boxes. If the error result is 100 or 803, then certain standard file dialog boxes are suppressed, such as the Open dialog box.

Off re-enables the alert messages. Set Error Capture suppresses normal FileMaker Pro alert messages.
===================

From experience I can tell you that there is at least one error dialog that is not suppressed by SET ERROR CAPTURE ON. You may want to check the FM KB to see if it has any more details.

-Striker

Thanks TS, I think we may have found one other dialog ... I'm going to have to break down and ask FileMaker. But I'll check the KB first. I'll let you know what I find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back