Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error calling OpenRowSet on the provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanh

MIS
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi there,
I am doing an import of dbf tables using DTS Wizard. When I get to a particular table I get the following error:

Context: Error calling OpenRowset on the provider

Can someone explain to me what this message means? I want to think that it is because it is being used exclusively somewhere else, because all the other tables import just fine.

Did you find out what is causing this ? I am trying to import a Visual Foxpro 7 file into SQL and I get the same error... I have no idea what this is...

Jim

Hi Jim,
I think in my situation, that the application was being used by a certain drive mapping and somehow used exclusively. I was trying to use the same drive mapping letter in my ODBC connection as the application was, so I made my ODBC connection a different drive letter and it seems to be working okay.

That was the only thing that I changed and it worked okay. I hope that helps. My application is so old I think that it was mind of it's own!!

Sue

Your .dbf filename should not have underscore ("_") character.

On your SQL box, make sure Visual FoxPro is a supported data source. Does it show up in the source type list when you try and manually create a DSN to the dbf?

Yes it is. When I do the import (In SQL)I have 2 Visual FoxPro data source options; Visual FoxPro Driver & Visual FoxPro Treiber.

To make the DSN Connection I am using the data source Visual FoxPro Tables with the Visual FoxPro Driver...

I had the same problem, and the problem was that the file name was too long. It may not be over 8 characters.

For some reason the 8+3 character limit for file names is still used in this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back