Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error box says: "the parameter is incorrect" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickN

MIS
Jun 27, 2001
US
When I try to open any DTS package from a client machine, I receive an error that says "the parameter is incorrect". However, I can still open the DTS packages if I am on the server itself. I tried transferring these packages to another SQL server that was working normally and I received the same message. Any ideas? I have already tried installing the correct service pack on the client machines -but this didn'[t help either. Thanks!

Most likely the error is caused by a source file (such as the source for an import, like a .TXT file) being specified relative to the server.

Its easier to explain with an example:

You create an import DTS job on the server that imports C:\INCOMING\MYFILE.TXT. It runs fine when being run from the server.

But when you try to open for editing, or run, the file from a client machine, C:\INCOMING\ may well not exist.

I know: the error message isn't the most helpful. Robert Bradley
Support operation moo!
Visit the OpCow page to help in this cause

This is a frequent problem when packages have been created or updated with SQL 7 SP2. They can no longer be opened on PCs or servers running SP1. Which version of SQL server are you running? Which service packs are installed on the server and client. Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

The SQL server versions are the same on the both the clients' machines and the servers. However, on the server in question there is SP2 installed so I tried updating one client machine with SP2 to see if this would fix the problem. I could not get SP2 to install on this client machine - I kept getting errors. I don't understand that why I would get this problem all of a sudden when I have been OK for well over a year. Maybe I am installing the SP's incorrectly.

I don't know the answer to your question about why this is suddenly a problem. I do know that it is a fact that once a DTS package has been modified by SP2 program, it cannot be read by an SP1 program. Perhaps, the packages had never been updated by an SP2 program until recently. You need to upgade the client to SP2 to solve this problem and avoid others. Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

Hi NickN, I have just come accross this problem myself. The problem is that if you create a DTS package on a machine with adminstrator rights for example the server, then that user/machine owns the package and can therefore not be run on a client machine.

ADW - These DTS packages were created about 1 year ago on a client/administrator machine. Recently, this individual who worked on this computer left the company and her machine was reconfigured and given to someone else. I used to be able to modify these DTS packages on my client machine which is also configured as an administrator. The DTS packages can only be modified on the server now. Do you know if it would impact these DTS packages if they wiped out her NT account and her computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back