Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: Access Denied Renewing Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamezpjr

ISP
Feb 10, 2005
US
I have run across this error three times in the last week, all on Win98 machines. I enter winipcfg, the IP address is listed as 0.0.0.0 . I click release and it says its already released. I click renew, and get:

Error: Access Denied Renewing Adapter

None of these machines seemed to have anything in common besides the OS and they all have broadband internet thru a cable modem. Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

This is what I have tried:

-Reboot modem/pc
-Reinstall USB Cable modem or nic drivers (2 had nics)
-Reinstall network stack
-Disable all firewall/antivirus software

What happens when you do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew?

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
Groucho Marx

Windows 98 does not recognize either of those as a command. I believe in Windows ME you can run ipconfig, maybe even ipconfig /all, but not release or renew.

I should also mention though, I have now seent this on a WinME machine. Same error message. This machine was connected to a cable modem with the USB interface, I switched it to etherent, and all was fine... not sure if that helps. :)

i found my solution! multiple dhcp servers on the single network...
two routers, one chained off the other, the chained router mistakenly had the DHCP server enabled.

Here is what Microsoft shows for this error message:

MS00-047: NetBIOS Vulnerability May Cause Duplicate Name on the Network Conflicts

Article ID : 269239
Last Review : December 20, 2004
Revision : 5.2

This article was previously published under Q269239

Hope it will help!

kaycek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back