Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 7391 - Distributed Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrivera

Technical User
Sep 14, 2000
PR
This is my scenario...

Server A Server B Server C
(SQL Svr 7) (SQL Svr 7) (SQL Svr 2000)
(NT4 Svr) (NT4 Svr) (W2K Svr)

Server A is outside a firewall. Server B and C are inside our company's W2K domain. Server B has Server A and C as linked servers. Server C has Server A and B as linked servers.

Then, I got the following so far:
(a) If I execute a distributed UPDATE between servers A and B (regardless who's the target and who's the source) the transaction runs OK.

(b) If I execute a distributed UPDATE between servers B and C (regardless who's the target and who's the source) the transaction runs OK.

(c) If I execute a distributed UPDATE in such a way that server A is the target and server C is the source, the transaction runs OK.

But...
(d) If I execute a distributed UPDATE in such a way that server A is the source and server C is the target, I get a 7391 error indicating that my SQL-OLE-DB provider wasn't able to start a distributed transaction.

I already checked the MDC and it is running ok (otherwise, I wouldn't be allowed to run distributed SELECTs and/or UPDATEs among servers B and C, which I'm doing fine).

Could somebody help?

Please advise!

jcrivera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back