Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 733 VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpatrick

Technical User
May 16, 2001
US
I have set up VPN per instructions off this site and was so jazzed as it was working... I let it lay for about a week and started up my VPN to work and I couldn't print or browse the Network at work, it acts like and registers me on the network but say's "your computer and remote computer cannot agree on PPP control protocols". TCP/IP CP reported errror 733.

I have gone back over several times my set up at both ends and have went as far as to reinstall the OS (windows 2000 server) at work... but to no avail.

I have a Domain at work and am athenticating to it and have 2 nic's in the server (a public address and a private address)

If anyone has an idea on a solution I would be very grateful.

J

What OS are you running on the client side? Fairly obscure error, but could mean several different things depending upon the client Windows version.

My first guess would be . . . on the client computer:
Click Start --> Settings --> Network and Dial-up Connections --> right-click the VPN connection --> Properties. Click the Networking tab --> Settings.
Make sure the Negotiate multi-link for single link connections check box is NOT marked. Click OK to close the boxes.

This can get more complicated as W2K SR2 (I think) does not have the check box. You have to change the value in a registry setting. Don't have it here in front of me, but I can look it up when I get to work. Post back if you need it.

There are several other things that could be doing it, generally make sure TCP/IP is installed and configured for the VPN connection on both sides. If you have the box marked to enable DHCP on the client side, turn it off, set a static ip and try again to eliminate problems there.

If one of those doesn't fly, you will need to turn on ppp logging on the server side to trap the specific error on that end. If you get to that point and need help, post back. If you do so on your own, make sure you remember to set it back to errors only, as it uses a lot of resources otherwise. As always, post back if you need further assistance.

Thanks for the quick response I have been trying the options you gave (none seemed to provide the solution). But thanks for the direction as it has kept me positive of a solution.

I did in the attempts to make it work find the when I turned off IPX options that I would no longer be able to connect, but of course when turning it back on I was connecting fine.... remember that when I am connecting I get the protocal PPP issue and thus cannot ping, browse etc.

I have 2 nics 1 with a public interface (is private numbered but reaches the world thru a public number thru our firewall, it is specific to the server) and 2 a private DHCP number that sits inside the resevered numbers of our DHCP. The connection from outside seems to reach the public number thru VPN and it doesn't seem to reach the 2nd nic no matter what I change in the configuration.

I know this is fairly broad in generalities of what's happening and how I have it set up but if you have any more suggestions as to how I may try to resolve this please let me know.

FYI I got the setup instructions from thread:
thread96-100593

Jay

I didn't follow your last post 100%, but I get the idea that you are pretty much the same situation as before -- you are still getting error 733. If that is the case . . .

It really sounds to me like you are running TCP/IP on the server side but you don't have it installed or configured on the client side, or it is not working properly on the client side. You mentioned IPX. You shouldn't need IPX unless you have Netware running somewhere, which is possible, but I don't see anything else that would indicate so.

If you had TCP/IP installed along with IPX, but TCP/IP was disabled, I could see that giving a 733. Have never tried, and the docs don't give specifics for that situation. If that was the case, and you were to disable IPX, there would be no functional transport protocol left, and you would not be able to connect at all, much as you are describing.

Having said that, make sure that you have TCP/IP installed on the VPN connection and that the box beside it is marked. If it is already there and marked, uninstall it, reboot, and install/configure it again.

The third paragraph gives me the impression that you are able to connect, but having problems otherwise. Maybe you are talking about your connection prior to having the error 733? Anyway, the problem you are describing there is routing problem.

If you want to access computers on the VPN server LAN segment other than the server itself, you will need to add routes. On the VPN client, you will need to add a route to the remote LAN with the VPN server as the gateway, and depending upon the routing configuration on the server side, you may also have to add a route back to your VPN client. If I have misunderstood, or if you need a better explaination of that, post back.

Either way, post back your results, I'll be watching.

Thank you so much....

It really helps to have someone talk with you and to bounce problems off of. As you were giving observations it sparked me into rechecking my setup of TCPIP on my local machine and I found it not completely set up.

A dumb mistake but time consuming none the less. I thought I had double checked it but must have been on the server side.

Long story short it now works, and yes we are running Novell as well and having the IPX will be beneficial.

Again thanks for being there.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back