Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 645, when tries to connect to win2000 VPN sever form win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj280376

Technical User
Dec 30, 2001
IN
I Have Win2k sever, and VPN server installed on that, my sever has only one NIC and I have a dedicated internet connection from DSL through a DSL Router, and I am using their IP segment, and the router is directly connected to the Switch and the server is also connected to the switch.
I am trying to connect to the VPN server from my lap top through a dial up internet connection. when i click the connect button of VPN connectin window, it gives me an error
"Error 645, Dial Up adpter is already in use, close the application which uses the adapter and try again, is the problem persists restart the computer"
My doubt is if i close the connection to internet then how will my VPN client access the VPN server. I have instaled
MS VPN adapter also.

All helps are apprecitated

Okay, let me get this straight. Your dialing into an ISP and your attempting to connect to your VPN server next and when you launch the connection you get the error?

Let's make sure that your VPN is set up correctly on your Windows 98 computer. First, go to ADD and Remove programs and click on the Windows 98 Components button. Look under communications and make sure that you have the box checked for Virtual Private Networking. Next, look in your network properties and make sure that you have a VPN Dialup Adapter listed. Also you should see TCP/IP for VPN dialup adapter listed also. Next, delete the original VPN connection that you created. Next, go to Dialup Networking under communications and run the wizard to create a new one. When prompted, put in the IP address of your VPN server. Keep in mind that your VPN server has to have a valid internet IP address and if it does not you WILL NOT be able to connect to it. The only other way around this would be to map an ISP's IP to the IP address of your VPN server.

Look over the instructions I gave you and let me know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back