Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 619 with Linksys v5 or v6 Router Solution 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xevious2k

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
Greetings All,

I know a lot of you have been having trouble connecting to your VPN Servers with the later versions of the Linksys WRT54G Routers. After 2 days of working on this, I think I have found a possible solution. At least this worked for us.

Here is the equipment we use:

Router: Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router Ver 5 or Ver 6
Connection: ATT(SBC) DSL
Modem: Speedstream 4100 or Speedstream 4200
VPN Client: Microsoft Native

Problem:

With either wired or wireless connections, when we tried to connect to our VPN server, we would get an Error 619 on 99% of our connection attempts.

When we did get a connection, we coundn't do anything and after a few minutes, the connection would drop.

We tried changeing the router, firmware and DSL modem with no change.

Diagnostic:

When we connect directly to the DSL modem, our connection worked fine, but not with the router in place. So we know it's a Linksys problem. We called Linksys and spoke with their support department and tried upgrading and downgrading the firmware and changed every setting the router had to offer to no avail. We even tried a different DSL modem and finally a different router all with the same result.

Solution:

Each time we configured the DSL modem, we put the user ID and password in the Speedstream modem and had the router connecting via "Automatic Configuration", (i.e. DHCP). This is the cause of the problem!!!

Here are the steps we followed to resolve the issue:

Step 1: Connect to the DSL modem directly and reset the configuration to factory defaults. To get to the configuration page of the modem goto 192.168.0.1 from a web browser and click the advanced button on the left. Then click on the Reset Modem button below. You will be asked for your modem access code which is a yellow sticker on the bottom of the modem. Once the modem has been reset, close the browser window and reinstall the router.

Step 2: With the router connected, open a web browser and goto 192.168.1.1 and enter your password to access the router, (by default, the password is "admin" and the User ID is left blank). Once in the router, goto the Administration screen and reset the router to factory defaults and wait for the router to reset.

Step 3: Go back to the Setup page of the router and select PPPoE as the login type and enter your DSL UserID and password. Set the Time Zone setting and click Save Changes.

Step 4: Setup your wireless configuration and security as you normally would.

Try your VPN Connection.

Conclusion:

This solution has been tested on all equipment listed above and we were able to reproduce the results and problem by switching around the configurations.

Since this forum is so helpful to me in my daily work, I am only posting this here. If you wish to post this elsewhere, feel free.

If you get diferent results, I would be interested in hearing about them, Please post them within this thread.

I don't know if this problem affects cable modems that are always configured via DHCP. If someone could confirm that cable modems are not affected by this problem, that would be helpful.

Good Luck
X2K

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

WOW, I wish I had seen this about 2 weeks ago!!

I had the same problem. It turned out, however, that I was able to set the modem in bridge mode (by removing the router and connecting the modem to my computer directly), and then reseting the router to be the DHCP server. When you have 2 DHCP servers on a single network fighting to set the subnet, you got PROBLEMS...

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back