Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 601 When Attaching a MSDE 2000 .mdf to SQL Server 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramerd1506

Technical User
Jul 18, 2003
US
Hello.

I have a MSDE 2000 .mdf file that's about 1 gig and the .ldf that goes with it. I'm not sure how it was created, it was given to me, but I can find out.

Anyway, when using the SQL Server 2008 Management Studio (SQLExpress instance), I'm connecting to my instance and then right-clicking on databases > attach. I browse to the .mdf and it reads in the .ldf also, no problem.

When I try to attach, it returns an error very quickly reading:
Could not continue scan with NOLOCK due to data movement.
Could not open new database '<db name>'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 601)

I see this error around the internet but I have yet to see it in relation to attaching a database and I see no decent resolutions for it. Any help? Thanks in advance.

-Dan

I've seen that error when the files are in use by something else - for example: being copied somewhere or anti-virus checking them.

I would also restore them to a SS2000 instance and then run the upgrade wizard against the database to see if it can be upgraded to SS2008.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back