Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 50: You attempted ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthreepo

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
GB
an operation that cannot be performed from your computer or that is not supported on the specified server. Make sure you are using the correct server for the command or task that you want to perform.

Any ideas?

let's help one another, not hinder.

I am trying to map to a non-shared folder from a win98 client on Win2000 Server i.e h:\sharname\%username%

Is this possible? If not, is there a way to map direct toa folder that is not shared if the user has rights to see it write to it etc?

let's help one another, not hinder.

you can't map to a folder that is not shared...
you can map to the route that you just specified, just create a share at the root of the folder...
for example: if you have a folder called "Backups" with the users folders under this according to the username, then just share the "Backups" folder and you will have to create each folder for the user...
as far as I know, win98 is not able to recognise the %username% switch in a copy command...or in any for that matter...
as far as I know this is only available in Windows 2000 and NT...
the way to check is to run the "set" command locally on the Win98 machine to see what environment variables are available...
if you run "set username" in Win2k you get the logged on user, you don't get that in Win98...
I will have a look if you can use the FOR or FIND commands in Win98, if you can you have ways of getting around this using the NET NAME command...

You can't map to a subfolder of a share in Windows 98.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back