Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 48: Server unable to resolve client name!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JyotiAhuja

Technical User
Jul 26, 2004
US
Hi all,

INFO:
We have netbackup MP4.5 on solaris 8!
And have about 20 clients (Win XP SP2)which get their IP addresses from a windows server.
And i need to configure those clients for netbackup.

DONE:
Installed netbackup client s/w on 2 of our test machines and given them unique netbackup client names ( differnt from their computer name and their temporary host name).
Also gave them a valid Announce_DHCP_Interval value 4320 so that it should tell the server about its new IP address after every 4320 secs if it has changed since its last announcement.

Configured our server for these clients (by giving bpclient command and so adding netbackup client names to client database of the server). Also wrote all our dynamic addresses and their corresponding host names to /etc/hosts file.

PROBLEM:
During a backup, server is giving error code 48 which is :client name couldnot be resolved).

Another thing which i noticed was that when i give the following command to see what's in the client database of the server..
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpclient -L -All

I get entries like the following..
client name : client01 (which i gave on both client and server)
Current host:
Hostname: *NULL*
IP address: 0.0.0.0
Connect on non reserved port: No
No call back connections: No
Dynamic address: Yes
Free Browse: Allow
List restore: Now specified
Max jobs this client: Not specified

Ideally,netbackup client should notify the server of its netbackup client name and network hostname and so the current host,hostname and IP address fields should display these values for the client..

But even after waiting for more than 4320 * 4 secs..Nothing has happened and server is giving error 48 and client database still shows the above default values..(IP address 0.0.0.0 and ......)

Any help is really appreciated..
Im sorry if i gave too many unnecessary details!!
Thanks in advance
-Jyoti

Put the client hostname in the servers /etc/hosts file and also look at /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

I can't add client hostname to /etc/hosts as our client hostnames (IP addresses) are dynamic. Doing that would mean running a script before every backup.

Thanks for the help!

Could it be a DNS problem? What does nslookup (gethostbyname and gethostbyaddr respecitvely) say if your using that name service?

HTH,

mrjazz

Ya,its actually gethostname which is failing.
Probably im not able to make myself clear.

This is the problem only. Although /etc/hosts file has all the possible IP addresses with their network hostname the too the server is not able to resolve the net backup client name.
Basically the client should go to server after every t secs( which i have specified in the client registery) and should thell the server about its current IP address and name. Apparently,somehow this is not happening because client database in the server is still giving null for the host name and 0.0.0.0 for the IP address.
Iam lookinf for a way by which I can force the client to contact the server and tell its details.
I checked my server for any firewall problem but that's not even the case.Server didn't block the client message.

Thanks everyone,
Your help and time is really appreciated.
-Jyoti

Try and reinstall the netbackup client on the client machine. Make sure you can ping back and forth by IP and hostname as well.

Is the client on a different subnet or DMZ?

I can ping from the server by IP address and not by host name which is because client is never going to the server and telling about its netbackup client name so that the server could make an entry in its client database.
Ofcourse,I can ping server from the client both by host name as well as IP address.

Ya,few of of our clients are on different subnet.

Thanks a ton for help!!

just to clarify, you have added the clinet into a policy already correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back