Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 403 Forbidden Access Pls advise what I must do

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvafmy

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
SG
Hi I am new to ASP and I am getting this error "403 Forbidden Access control denied."

I am using Windows 2000 pro and have set up the IIS correctly.I am using Explorer v5.

Would appreciate if someone can advise what are the steps I must do inorder to use the url as http:// localhost/ followed by the address.

Pls if you can advise me step by step as I may not be able to do or understand the technical terms to resolve 403 Error.

I hope someone can assist.
Thanks

My guess is that you just have a directory in the URL when this error occurs, like
IIS needs to be told (configured) what pages should be recognized as 'loaded automatically' when no file name are specified in the url.

I don't remember the out-of-the-box settings, but I think it was default.asp and index.htm.

If you are using something like index.asp or index.html, it won't be recognized by IIS, and you get a 403 Error.

To change these settings, open the IIS manager, get the properties for your web site, go to the Documents tab and add the name of your "index" document.

Hope this helps,
Palooka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back