Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 3402 - Unable to create file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vos

MIS
Jun 13, 2001
CA
Guys:

I'm trying to restore a SQL DB from Brightstor 10.5 w/ SQL agent.

I can see the session where the DB is backed up, logs say it was backed up successfully. But when I try to restore, I get the following:

Error 3402 - Unable to create file <path to file> EC=Invalid Name

I'm trying to restore the SQL DB to an alternate location on the same server, is that the problem? I've got full perms...

Thanks in advance!

There are 10 types of people in the world,
those who know binary, and those who don't!

Vos [peace]

That has to be the most unhelpful answer I`ve ever seen here. Not sure why you even bothered.

Which FAQ??

Scuse me? You think 'read the FAQ' is an insightful and informative answer?

It's exactly the same as RTFM, which has no place in a forum like this. This place is good becuase there are none of the snooty 'Do we have to answer this AGAIN' responses you get in most forums. Let's not start, huh?

Oh yeah, just noticed. Davidmichael actually wrote the FAQ, so he has no excuse for being so rude.

Vos,

Were you able to perform the restore? When you restore SQL to an alternate path on the same machine all you need to do is right click on the database session in the restore manager, select "Backup Agent Options" and specify new paths for each data and log files you want to move.

The error you are getting may arise if you were to direct the restore to a specific directory in the destination screen. You shouldn't do this. In the destination screen you must either restore to original location or browse to a machine and select the SQL agent itself. Relocation of files is done through the Backup Agent Options screen.

I have just had a similar problem, and I`m sure I`m stating the obvious by saying I fixed it by moving the existing files out of the original location and then restoring to the original path, which Arserve seems much happier to do.

This incidentally was onto a new hard disk, which didn`t seem to be a problem. If the location doesn`t exist, it just creates it.

Cowboy solution, but ya gotta get out of the office sometime, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back