Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 31 on both network devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyH

Technical User
Feb 3, 2000
US
Working on a laptop on which the on-board nic and on-board wireless cards are not functioning. Both are listed under the catagory "Unknown" and have yellow exclamation marks. Both have the message "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). There are other devices listed under the Unknown catagory, but none have the exclamation marks. I do not have a catagory for Network Adapters like you would normally see on a computer. The correct name of the devices is listed, however not working. I have updated and rolled back the drivers and still can't get them working. The system is Windows XP Media Center with SP3. Tried drivers from the Gateway website as well as the manufacturer....any ideas? We're stumped. Leaning towards a power surge messing them up maybe, don't want to reload the system to see what happens. Gonna try a new PCMCIA network card, but would prefer to get these going.

What network devices are we talking about, list the make?

also list the appropriate VEN and DEV numbers, can be found under the Device Manager under each device, under the DETAILS tab... e.g. VEN_10DE&DEV_037C&SUBSYS_0897742

Your assumption that a powersurge may be the cause of this, may not be to far off, it has been known (even happened to me once) that ESD can cause many things to go haywire... e.g. change the VEN and DEV number on devices, so that the drivers can not identify it correctly and thus cause a CODE 31 or CODE 10...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I fixed it. I found a registry fix to address the issue of the missing Network Adapter catagory in the device manager. Once that was resolved and the network adapters were in the correct place, I remoted the adapters, rebooted and let them reload. They loaded up properly and both the onboard nic and wireless cards are working. Thank you for your input. Something must have corrupted the registry. Now to install the windows updates and AV software.

Thanks again,
Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back