Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 3051 when running queries based on .csv files

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper1885

Programmer
Aug 12, 2008
US
I'm getting the 3051 error, that either someone has the query open in exclusive mode or I do not have permission to view the data. This happens only when one user opens a query that is based on a table already in use and that table is linked to a .csv file. My back end is essentially 95% linked .csv tables, and all my users download a copy that has those links as well. I tried copying the .csv files to my computer and trying to open multiple instances of them in access, but I still get that error. All locking in access that I know of is turned off (opening in shared mode, no locks, no record level locking).

What do I do??

Hi

I'm probably missing the jist here but

a: what version are you in 2k has excl check box on opening so you can see, 03 seems to rely more on a shortcut having the excl switch have you checked these I'm guessing you have.

b: do you have security applied and is there an issue here maybe

hope this helps
Jo

Thanks for the reply! It seems a lot of people are avoiding this question, and I dont blame them, it's nasty.

a) I'm using Access 2000, Excel 2000, etc. I'm not sure what check box you're refering to though. Sounds like that's something I really need to check out though, where is it for Access 2000?

b) no security at all, everyone uses admin, admin owns all tables, queries, etc. I left security at access default. No one logs in or uses a password.

Could it be possible someone has decided to set a password for the admins group

cos what you are getting is a classic security gaff.

To set a password you have to have the database open exclusively, if per chance only one person had it open and decided to 'play' you would end up with your situation

Does the password login box come up I forgot to ask that?

Or do you click & run

jo

It's click to run. No log on box, no password, etc. I'm testing it myself, no one else is using at the moment, and i'm still getting the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back