Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

error 3028 when createworkspace prog prev ran in vb4

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithles

Programmer
Jul 15, 2002
Hi. Thankyou for looking and hopefully thinking.
I have a vb4 application which runs many locations but needs upgrading.
In vb6 I get error 3028 "can't start yr app. workgroup information file is missing or is in use by another user"
at the Set ABCWorkSpace = DBEngine.CreateWorkspace("ABC",flogin,fpass,dBUseJet). The dbUseJet was recommended for vb6 but seems to have no useful effect.

The database files were created in Access 2.0 and need the password protection for distribution. There is no available SYSTEM.MDW file for them. Adding a statement DBEngine.SystemDB = ...path to SYSTEM.MDW ( the one for access 2000 which I am trying to get around the 3028 problem) just gives an error 3049 corrupt database which is probably due to not telling system.mdw about the database as we don't know the setup parameters apart from username /password. This long ago ceased to be an interesting problem. Microsoft says remove the password protection and upgrade the database to Access 2000 or later.
But this distributed (>1gig) database needs protection from pirates. It will be difficult but probably not impossible to remove password protection temporarily. All I am trying to do is to open a file, after all.
Thanx. Les

what version of DAO are you using? you may need to downgrade to 2.5/3.51 compatability library.

Hi, vb5prgrmr.
Thanks for the tip, but when I altered it to DAO2535.tlb 2.5/3.5 compatibility same problem occurred. I am source code debugging.
Les

i ALTERED TO REFER TO SYSTEM.MDA NOT SYSTEM.MDW AND I NOW HAVE NEW PROBLEMS, NOT THAT ONE. THANKS ANYWAY. LES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back