Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 3027 - Can't update. Database or object is read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesai

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
GB
Hi all.

This is a recurring porblem on this forum and the MS Access Modules forum, but I have not found a solution in any threads yet.

I have an A97 db which exports a table to an Excel file on the user's desktop. The program checks whether the file exists, deletes it if so, and then saves a new file every time. There is no possibility of anyone else sharing the file, the user's desktops are not read-only, the program controls the filename and it always includes a .xls extension.

This works for nearly all users, but a small number get the 3027 can't update error when the code hits the TransferSpreadsheet method. I have seen many solutions referring to a Microdoft article about DisabledExtensions etc. at

My understanding is that this refers to A2000 and above, and doesn't apply here. I have tried it as a solution and it does not help.

This is the second problem to come up here. The first was that the PCs in question did not have the Excel ISAM driver registered. When I fixed this, I started getting the 3027 message - I can only assume the two are connected, but this has not helped me yet.

What I don't understand is how this works for most users but not for some. All the PC builds are suposed to be the same - obviously thay are not, but I haven't tracked down the difference yet.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I should try next.

hughesai

In A97 the export path is limited to 64 characters. If you exceed this you will get an error with a message that is unrelated to the path size.

thanks lupin46.

Yes I think I was aware of that before, but discounted it because it was all working fine on other PCs which all use A97 (including my own dev PC).

However, always test every hypothesis!

Yes - the path + file name was 72 characters, so I shortened it. The path as far as the Desktop was 42 characters, so I added a much shorter name to bring the total to 58 characters, and it worked ! ! !

Now I'm wondering why it was working on so many A97 PCs. I can only assume that they also have something else installed which upgraded something ? ? and this was not installed on the PCs which were failing. However I don’t really care, although I know that sooner or later this will come back to bite me again.

Thanks very much again for your help.

hughesai.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back