Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 3011, TransferText acExportFixed and table specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxGeek

Technical User
Jan 8, 2004
US
I'm modifying a existing Access App someone else made to add additional fields to the application.

The application imports a spreadsheet and formats the fields into an text export file.

One line of code is giving me problems:
DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "T_INFO_Text Export Specification", TableName, "C:\Temp\" & TableName & ".txt"

I get error 3011 on this line and it says Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find object 'myfile#txt' (TableName = myfile)

I found this article on the subject which has helped with another error I was getting before, but I'm still stuck on this error.

What is the value of tablename? Please post a little more code.

Here is code snippet
*REQUESTNO is passed in as a 9 digit character

Dim TableName As String
Dim strRequestno As String

TableName = "C" & REQUESTNO

RetValue = SysCmd(acSysCmdSetStatus, "Drop existing export table...")
DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, TableName

RetValue = SysCmd(acSysCmdSetStatus, "Create temporary export table...")

sql = "SELECT ID, DESC, CUST INTO "" & TableName & " FROM T_INFO_Text WHERE REQUESTNO = '" & REQUESTNO & "'"

dbs.Execute (sql)

DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "T_INFO_Text Export Specification", TableName, "C:\Temp\" & TableName & ".txt"

Copy_File (TableName)

Replace this:
sql = "SELECT ID, DESC, CUST INTO "" & TableName & " FROM T_INFO_Text WHERE REQUESTNO = '" & REQUESTNO & "'"
with this:
sql = "SELECT ID, DESC, CUST INTO " & TableName & " FROM T_INFO_Text WHERE REQUESTNO = '" & REQUESTNO & "'"

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks, but thats actually a editing error on my part. I simplified my code to reduce a bunch of fields for posting and accidently left an extra double quote.

The application is erroring on

If I comment out this line, I don't get an error.

Also the SQL dbs.Execute(sql) seems to correctly create and populate the specified table.

Try this:

dbs.Execute (sql), dbFailOnError

I get the same error. It says:

Error Number: 3011 Message: The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object 'C041581438#txt'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.

This is your problem: 'C041581438#txt'

Access is fussy about extensions, you must use an acceptable extension or tamper with the registry, so:

C041581438.txt

I am using .txt, atleast I'm trying to.

I've also tried
DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed, "T_INFO_Text Export Specification", TableName, "C:\Temp\filename.txt"

and for whatever reason excel reports the error as the filename#txt versions .txt.

I mean versus not version in my last post.

You say 'excel reports the error as ..' is this a misprint? Have you tried substituting the name of an actual table for TableName? Are you sure the table has been created?

As an aside, why are you creating a table, rather than modifying a query (creating numerous table will cause Access to grow unacceptably)?

Yeah I meant access. Yes I have tried substituting the name of the actual table. It still gives the same error. I can confirm the table was created because it shows up in my table list and when I look at it, it has the correct data in it.

Some else had a similar problem, but I couldn't find a resolution

I'm not sure why the application is built this way, but I am merely trying to add to it. Size isn't an issue as its used by individuals locally.

Try running DoCmd.TransferText from the immediate window or a scratch Sub. Just a straight transfer, with no specification, the name of an existing table and a full path to a text file in a standard directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back