Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slimsteve

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
GB

Hi All

I have having issues connecting to a sql server and keep getting "Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 58" when trying to logon with a SQL login. The SQL login works ok when on the server itself, but when trying to connect to the sql server from a client I get the error message. I have already checked the followed:

1: SQL server is in mixed authentication mode.
2: The server is setup to allow remote connections.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Are you trying to connect with SQL Server Management Studio or is it a different application? Can you show the connection string you are using to connect?

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

I am trying to connect mainly from SQL Server Management and SQL cmd line, when using SQL cmd line I get asked for the user name and password but it still fails on the client computer. I will be using code in the future to query the database when I can establish a connection to the server.

According to this article, you may have the SQL Server configured to accept only Windows authenticated logins (default setup).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back