Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 1402 Help Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggar

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
I have XP Home and have been trying to install office 2003 and get almost to the end then get this error message:

rror 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key
UNKNOWN\MsoHelp.HtmlHelp\CLSID. Verify that you
have sufficient permissions to access the registry

I have searched the internet and found this has happened to many people. I am logged on as administrator but cannot get passed this point.

I have virused & malware scanned the computer and it is clean. I asked Microsoft and they had no good answer.

If there is anyone out there that can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry". There is a big clue in that message. The Registry has Permissions for every Hive and Key, you will have to make sure that your User Group is listed with appropriate access permission to the key that is being accessed or written. Even though you are logged on as the Administrator, or a user with administrative permissions, it is often the case that the Administrator etc., for some unknown reason is not listed in the relevant registry key location.

How To Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults

How to use an Office XP Setup log file to troubleshoot Setup problems in Office XP

OFF2000: Transform Provides More Descriptive Error Messages

Follow the Office links on the left of this page.
Microsoft Help and Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back