Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 1045 for new XP install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2005
US
I'm unable to make a connection using MySQL Administrator with a brand new install for xp. I get an access denied to "ODBC@localhost". I tried pinging and it pings.
I tried copying the my.ini file to Windows.
And I see that this is a common issue for newbie's like myself. I've used Mysql before but have never installed it.

Can anyone please suggest a solution?

Thank you,
Followyourbliss

well, you are connecting as user ODBC - is this the user you want to connect as? You are getting a denial, so it sounds like you have access to the box...Hmm, your error message says you are trying to connect to localhost, but you are also saying you copied the my.ini file to Windows, which sounds like you copied it from a Linux/Unix/Non-windows Mysql server machine to the Windows machine you are using as a client. If my logic is right, your server and client machines are not one and the same, yet you are trying to connect to localhost.

No, that's not it. But thank you.

I tried different login's but nothing was working. Even tried 'root'.

What I had to end up doing was to run the mysql command prompt (which I hadn't done before - I was just using the MySQL Administrator). Once I ran the MySQL Command Prompt it immediantly asked me for a password. A password for 'root'. I closed the command prompt, re-ran Administrator and entered 'root' as the user and then the password I entered in the command prompt and I got in!
Now to create the initial tables :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back