Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Error 0512-003 the system may not have been able to archive some files

Status
Not open for further replies.

hss

Technical User
Sep 29, 2000
GB
I have received this message following a mksysb being taken. The backup has completed with this error, however I can't find an explanation of the code anywhere, or anyone who has come accross it before.

At first we thought it may be the result of ADSM not being taken offline, however we reran the mksysb with the same result having taken ADSM down first.

Has anyone come across this problem, or do you have any PD ideas?

Thanks
[sig][/sig]

hi
Are all filesystems in rootvg mounted??
i did experience the same problem on one of the my MCA servers but too
unable to find the cause except that one of disks in rootvg goes physically
damaged after some time.
It may also happen that some files are still in use while you are taking mksysb
so that command skipped these files.
you may also look on ptfs for your AIX version.

regds
Shiraz [sig][/sig]

The MKSYSB process first creates a list of files to be backed up. Since a MKSYSB takes several mins or even hours to run some of these files may be deleted since there are only temporary . eg mail queue files, print jobs etc. The filename of the file which failed to archive should lead you to know if it is a temporary file or not. [sig][/sig]

If you performed the mksysb through smit and changed the prompt:

List files as they are backed up? no +

to "yes" or ran mksysb with -v option, you can view the smit.log to identify the cause (specific file/s)of your error.

As Mayne55 mentioned, can be caused by files that existed when backup was begun but no longer do. It can also be caused by improperly named files, e.g. files with control characters in their names.

Hope this helps some.
-MissVick [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back