Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erroneous "disk full" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfiller

Technical User
May 22, 2001
US
I have several users who are getting a message when they try to check their email:
Could not write to file o:\whatever
Cause: Disk Full (28)

we use an old version of Eudora(3.0.6 -- which has been working fine), and the file mentioned is always one of the Eudora files which sit on a networked home drive. HOWEVER....
the disk is not full (yes, we use quotas, but they are not even close to their quota)
If I copy their email to a new folder on their home directory, all is well, but if I then delete the original files and copy them back from the new folder, the problem recurs.

I rebooted the server after this started and it didn't go away. I ran chkdsk (but NOT "chkdsk /f" on the server and was able to repair some errors. I will try to run chkdsk /f at some point, but that will require the file server to be down for an hour or so and I can't do that right now.)

I checked to see if these users (some, not all of my users are having this problem) had additional files open and none I checked did have any files open.

Windows 2000 server -- all patches applied
clients are Win98 or Win XP Pro
NTFS volume on Win2K server, quotas set to 100 MB, but these users have no more than 15 meg or so. I tried removing the quota for a few users, still have the problem.
Different files are mentioned for each user, but always one of the Eudora files (either the TOC files, eudora.log, or one of the others). Sometimes I can delete these files and allow them to be recreated and it goes away, but usually not.

Any suggestions?

JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

how about the quota for the Eudora EMail service account? it sounds like the user is getting the message regardless of their quota, and it seems to be on log files, etc...

give it a try ?

McZook

as far as I know (and I'd be the one to know) I don't have a quota on the Eudora Email service account. I don't think I HAVE a Eudora Email service account. It just pulls from the POP server to this server.

Sometimes the message is on TOC files, sometimes on LOG files, sometimes on MBX files, etc. No real pattern except that it seems to be Eudora files.

However, these files are the ones which are open a lot, too.

are the files that you get the errors on files that all mail users have access to? the log file and the TOC sound like files that are more or less public and some associated account is bumping into a quota.

can you recreate the problem at will?

No, these are not the shared files. The TOC files are the Table of Contents files for each person's mailboxes. I tried removing the quota on a few users to see if that would help, but it doesn't. It is acting like these files are already open, so they can't be written on.

I ran a chkdsk/f on the server last night and fixed several errors, but didn't help this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back