Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

erratic downward spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTGoober

MIS
Aug 13, 2003
US

I have a really wierd problem that seems to happen with our system about every 3-6 weeks.

System: Partner ACS 6.0, 4 port VM, two 308 cards, one 012 card. 26 stations (mostly 18D's), 8 lines. Configured in hybrid mode.

The symptoms start out as one user saying they can't get an outside line, nor intercom line. You push the button and no line capture. Then, a minute later, they can.

In the period of about 2-4 hours, we go from that to all inbound calls bypass the VM Greetings, and are sent to x10's mailbox. No one can get any internal or external line capture. We power cycle the system and the problem goes away for another 3-6 weeks.

Other symptoms, in no particular order of arrival:
- Can't get intercom lines either

- Only x number of lines can be in use at any one time, (x could be 3, 4, 2, whatever: but a subset of what we have) lending to the "sporatic" appearance, but in actuality, the user(s) just got lucky that there was one of the x lines open. If x number of lines are all in use, inbound callers get ring no answer.

- VM starts to foul up: inbound callers skip the AA greetings and go to x10's mailbox.

- When users try to call hunt group 7, they get x10's mailbox greeting.

- One (random) mail port starts acting up: like it can't "hear" the digits as we push them. If I cycle through all (two at the time) four ports, I can consistently get port x to fail this way. After reboot, and the problem comes back, it starts with a different port. (VM and Port card have been replaced, and this behavior returned.)

- If outside caller does get AA greeting and transfers to something besides x10, when they go to VM for station, they get x10's mailbox greeting.

We've mostly gone through the pain of swapping out cards one by one (only the 012 remains). New: processor, VM, 4-port VM card, 308 card. entire system programming rebuilt from scratch, when proc mod was swapped out.

I've tried (with no change in symptoms) leaving the cover off the unit, or keeping it on (Thinking: heat). I've tried using the LAN to program it, and using only the system console.

What else could I look at?

Maybe a new carrier. what else do you have to lose? It looks like you've replaced everything but the 1 012 card. If the carrier your using is a newer gray one you might want to get an older 5 slot (new) the cards seem to seat alot easier. Another thought, change the system to squared to see if it makes any difference. Maybe theres an issue with the hybrid mode. Mostly 18 button sets, should'nt be a problem.

Hi NTGoober,
Using PC Administration, dial in if you can and download the diagnostics info. Look for a high number of warm or cold boots. Also look for errors. It does sound like you have an external problem such as power quality, or an RF field. Station cabling that runs by high current or high voltage feeds can cause odd faults as well. Keep station cable off flouresent light fixtures.
It is possible for the 012 card (as any other) to cause trouble. A bad carrier normally will cause some cards to go down. I have full systems in your configuration exactly that are problem free. So that configuration is okay. It is possible that a page on the 012 with all volumes high on that card can cause the card to reset. At least you can check that after hours. Hybrid mode vs square won't matter.
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back