Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

errantly shows NO disc in drive d 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkm222

Technical User
Sep 7, 2002
US
My XP home version runs alongside 512 ram 1.3CPU and I use a USB manifold 4 parse hub for several USB devices to save IRQ I recently installed a brand new LG Electronics 4320B DVD-ROM drive which included the POWER DVD 4.0 decoder.
I affixed in via the secondary IDE as master with HP CDROM running as slave behind it.
I fired it up, slipped in a plate, it spun up and delivered perfect movie both video and sound the FIRST time ONLY!!!!!
Something must have occured after I rebooted that first time because it shows very clearly in device manager as master drive with no yellow exclamation points as well as the slave drive cdrom also. The problem?
Each and every time since I have tried to run that movie or any movie I keep getting the error: "No disc in drive D" I have torn my hair out for an entire month can you help me. Both drives will play data and sound discs
Someone has told me that i need to take it back that it is defective but I disagree i guess [why did it work perfect initially] and it has gotten to be a private war, me against the drive. So far it has won every confrontation. One other thing. I see this complaint fairly regularly on the net "no disc in drive" and when I investigate all the answers none seem to help me. So now I turn to you experts, what do you think? Finally I am not sure I am breaking any rules but would it be possible for you to send a cc to me? lkm222@montana.com

I would have to agree with the person that told you to take it back.

Thing with hardware is...if it is going to break it will probably do so within a few days of installation.
There are different components that read within the hardware, and if you had it working great, it is highly unlikely that you have a problem with the way it is set up.

The only other thing you can try is changing the cable, and running the drive on its own to see if that resolves it.

Otherwise....take it back! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Indeed. Why waste your time on something that might start to work again, but will probably fail shortly after.

The best word of advice I can give is buy from a store based on their return policy. I was a tech (years ago) at Comp___ something or another and they charged a 15% restocking fee on opened products. I also learned something very important working there... It is not uncommum for products to be DOA straight out of the box.

Stars on me!

I suppose I will be forced to acquiesce but one major fact has kept me convinced that the drive is NOT defective. That fact I mentioned or hinted at with how often I see that complaint "no disc in drive d" mentioned on the search engines. Try it for you own satisfaction if you are at all interested. I reckon thewre is no getting fter a guy for saying "thank you" to you is there? One place they wanted to not use any space for even a thank you

While it is true CDROM/DVD drives can go wrong on the sofware side, the reason returning it for a replacement was suggested was because you had it working - but then it stopped.

If you have made no real changes on your system you can make a pretty safe bet that the drive is at fault.

There are some tests you can do it you still want to before returning the drive... Get a bootable CD. See if your drive reads it. If it does not then try booting to it 10 or 20 times. If you can boot to it everytime but you can't see it in Windows, reinstall Windows.

HI LKM222,

One thing you could do that doesn't take much effort is to reinstall the driver for the DVD drive. You can go into device manager (Win+pause / Device Mgr) and select the DVD drive and remove it. Now reinstall and try it. If this doesn't work, definitely take it back.

Good luck,

Grandpa Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back