Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERR5306

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarinR

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2009
US
Thanks to all of your collective genius, I was able to troubleshoot an issue that has been bugging the heck out of me.

I have an analog line serving a fire panel, and just a few weeks ago began getting reports that the panel was not sending its regular reports as it is supposed to. Checked LD 10, everything is the way it is supposed to be. Put a test set on the line, discovered a bad connection where the cable entered the data room. Two new Scotch locks, tested good. The panel continued to have problems ...

Traced the DN, didn't really see anything unusual until "LOCKOUT". Didn't really get anywhere until I printed a history and discovered an ERR5306. Converted the error code to a TN, and boom. It's coming from the fire panel.

It also seems to be creating some "ghost" calls at one of our attendant consoles ...

The alarm technician is going to be on-site soon to take a look at the panel programming, so hopefully its as simple as someone put an extra digit in the monitoring station's phone number when they programmed it.

So, two things:
1) Kudos to all of you for providing all of the information I was able to research on this forum to help troubleshoot; and
2) Aside from a programming error, any other ideas why a fire panel would be generating this error? Haven't found any other problems with other DNs on this card, so its hard to believe the card is bad ...

For alarm lines and other similar uses, set the analog TN to CLS XFR

That means "Transfer Restrict".

I suspect you have "XFD today which means "Transfer Deny"

The difference is interesting:

If on a call, a CLS XFD phone momentarily flashes or hangs up and goes off hook, that phone won't be able to make another call right away (hence the panel getting stuck on that line) and the console will ring with the mystery call.

If on a call, a CLS XFR phone momentarily flashes or hangs up and goes off hook, the TN is simply ready to make another call...so nothing goes wrong

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators

Gene's points about XFD/XFR are important.
But regarding the ERR5306, my experience is that it will will be a bad TN on your line card. Chances are if you monitor the TN with the fire panel disconnected you will hear static or the TN will go "off-hook" by itself. I would try switching the card with another one and watch for ERR5306 on the ne TN.
Of course there is also the possibility that the TN went bad because of a problem with the fire panel, maybe lightning strike that found it's way through the panel and into the TN.

Thanks for tips. GHTrout, you are correct ... both were set to XFD. Changed to CLS XFR.

Alarm tech should be on-site today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back