Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

err.description and erl no longer giving values

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTiger

Programmer
Jul 5, 2001
US
I've NEVER encountered this issue before in all the years that I've been programming VB6, but all of a sudden, all my error handlers are giving up nadda information on error reporting.

Typically, Err.Description provides just that, the descriptive text of the error encountered. Erl returns the line# the error occurred in. It's worked that way for years and years.

NOW, the Err.Description value is blank, and the Erl is 0 no matter what.

Has anyone else had this issue, and now the fix??

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 30 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

DISREGARD THIS ISSUE!

Found what was happening, and it was just an old programmer having cranial flatulence. My error trap was calling a separate sub that did a screen capture. I had recently also added a bug catcher in THAT sub, so one On Error was cancelling the values captured by the source On Error.

One of my favorite quotes: "Debugging: Being the detective in a crime movie where you're also the murderer"

Yep, that's ME. LOL

------------------------------------
[yinyang] Over 30 years of programming, and still learning every day! [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back