Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERP uses PSQL DB and functions slowly via VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello All,
Our ERP system is very unique to our industry so it is almost a necessity. Switching ERP systems would be insanely cumbersome so that may not be a solution. The ERP runs off a PSQL database and works fine in house. Our remote sales reps utilize a VPN tunnel and have to RDP to an onsite terminal server to use the ERP software. If they try to use the ERP software on their local machine through the tunnel, it is very slow to display whatever info they are trying to search for or input. Local internet is fine on each remote user as well as on our end. We do not restrict the bandwidth on the VPN tunnel. My question is, do all PSQL databases run poorly through a VPN tunnel or is this particular software coded insufficiently? I know of multiple companies that run their database programs through a VPN tunnel and do not seem to have this issue. Granted most of those I am familiar with are SQL dbs, not sure if that makes much difference.

Any thoughts?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

It's been years but I've run the PSQL engine through a VPN and don't remember any specific problems. If you load the Pervasive Control Center and run a query or Function Executor and open a data file and read several records, does it work at a normal rate?
Is the EXE that's displaying the data loading from the remote server or local machine?
PSQL uses standard TCP/IP for communicating through ports 1583 (ODBC), 3351 (Btrieve), and 3352 (Scalable SQL - very old).

Mirtheil

Thanks for the reply Mirtheil. I try to keep our VPN ports locked down to the basics needed by whatever app is running through that specific tunnel so I am going to go back and check to make sure all of those ports are open for business. I will try using PCC and see if it is more responsive that through the ERP app, havent tried that yet.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Calls via PCC are also slow. So it isnt just the ERP software but all of Pervasive. Checking more in depth with our VPN tunnel.

You're likely to find more benefit in setting up an RDP server and then have your client machines connect to the VPN and then RDP to that server. That way your ERP system is running 'locally' on the RDP server and your end-users should have a relatively speedy experience.

So that is how we have it set up now, via a VPN connection and a RDP session. We are playing again with RDweb which somehow seems more responsive even though I know it is basically the same as an RDP session.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back