Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccleod

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2004
CH
Hi there,
My neighbour has got a laptop and it started to give him problems, so he has used the erd supplied with it and it's reset the laptop to the condition it was in when he bought it (3-4 years ago). when he goes to start it up now it is asking him to enter a product code for the operating system (i've not seen it, but going on the way he's described it this is what it's prompting for) - he doesn't have the original disc as he bought it from Dixons with the os already installed. can he use a product code from a different disc or does it have to be the one that's connected to his pc?
besides him buying a new os, is there any way that he get into his system.

Thx for any help in advance
mc

[rockband]

Is there perhaps a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the product code on it? I've seen that with other laptops, notably Dell products.

He should demand for the original disk, he paid for it, in the future he will actually need the cd itself if needed to reinstall the OS.

============================
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Not all venders give you a windows OS disk some give you Repair Disk. These disk have your windows OS on them along with all your computer manufacuters software and drivers. So the repair disk is your OS original. Just dont loose the product code that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back