Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
Does an ERD have to be unique to the machine that it was created on? Can I use a W2K Pro ERD in any W2K Pro machine? TIA

Yes

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Yes I can use an ERD in on any W2K Pro CD or yes, it has to be unique to the PC that it was created on?

Thanks, DestinysDream

You should be able to use it on any W2K machine.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

If you have never run the create ERD process on the target machine, running ERD is of no benefit.

Because under Win2k (as opposed to NT) very little information is actually stored on the ERD disk itself, you likely can use another machine's ERD. But the ERD creation process creates backup of your registry hives in a special folder of your hard disk drive. If the ERD creation was never run, there is nothing for the ERD restore process to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back