Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ERD Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC

MIS
Mar 27, 2001
EU
I´m creating an ERD on server and there´s the same error message, "not enough space to save all files on the disk".
Is there a solution for this issue?
Thanks,

GSC

Been awhile since I've seen this - have you checked the MS knowledge base? I can't remember how/if you can fix it, but think its because your registry hives are too large (even the compressed versions on the ERD). Uninstalling unwanted software may help - perhaps registry cleaning too. And there are techniques to reduce registry hive size (try Googling). If you choose the save to hard disk as well option, does it do this, even though ERD create fails?

Running rdisk /s does two things
1.)Updates the registry repair information which is kept under \winnt\repair folder. All the hives are kept there in compact format.
2.) Copies the repair folder to the floppy.
If the size is big, it fails to copy but whenever you really need to restore registry, you can just use expand command to extract \winnt\repair\<hive-name>_ to \winnt\system32\config folder. If NT is not booting, install a new one and from there restore it.

In fact, I have come across so many machines which don't recognise floppy drive till service packs are loaded, hence fail to repair using ERD. So, this is a workaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back