Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erasing Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSupportEngineer

Technical User
Aug 2, 2005
US
Hi all,
I have successfully repartitioned a 2-partition flash set on a 2500 router to one partition. One flash set was read/write, the other one is a read only and I erased the read/write stick. I am trying to replace the IOS from an IP set to an IP/FW/IPSEC one and need more than an 8 Mb flash partition. When I try to erase the remaining 8Mb stick I am told there is an error erasing the flash, "the device is read only". If I try to just tftp, the error is also "the device is read only".
The manuals (I have some old ones for the 2500s) make mention of possible jumpers on the board but the only ones I see are for the boot ROMs (which I upgraded).
Is there any way to reconfigure read-only or overwrite read only flash?
Thanks,
TSupportEngineer

Well, looks like I found a solution, have to use bootrx to overlay an IOS. Apparently the new IOS's (12.1??) do this automatically and transparently.

TSupportEngineer

in config mode type config-register 0x2101 then reload

it will put you in boot mode and make the flash read/write let me know if this helps

LOOKING FOR IOS

I am looking for IOS 12.3 for 2522 router, I back up the previous ios tried to load a new one but it would take, then i tried to put back the Backup it said file not found

any help PLEASE

Make sure you can ping the TFTP server from the router. Depending on the TFTP server you are using (I was using the old Cicso one) you may want to shut it down and restart it. Worked for me one time.

I've also got issues with copying flash.

I have been copying files to tftp from my 2801 router without a problem. But it wont let me copy my image.bin!

on a "show ver" I see that flash is read/write. Do you think I need to config registers to enter boot mode in order to save my flash?

It says:
%error openning flash:"my routers image file name"(file not found)

Ive checked syntax 100 times now. I see the file and copy ones right below it. It just wont let me copy the .bin.

I'm going grey over here.

router(config)#squeeze flash

Then sh flash
see what it says...

Burt

Sorry to hijack attempt on this thread. I was able to copy flash today.

Here's what I was trying:

Copy flash tftp

I needed to:

copy flash:"imagename" tftp

The colon was missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back