Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Erased my log files, now exchange won't start. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougnc

Programmer
Sep 2, 2001
US
Ok, I'm an idiot. But I get about 20 gigs of log files every month, and no more than 20 e-mails a day.

So I've done this before with no problem.

After erasing the *chk file I've got it to database inconsistency. How can I fix it?

Thanks!

The log files you erase were your emails !
So .. if no backup ... sorry !

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Nah. My priv1 and pub1 files are still there. Plus, I really don't care that much. I just need to get exchange running again.

Thanks to a search here, I found out about the Eseutil /p command, which fixed it.

Still, any good links to a simple explanation of these stupid log files?

Thanks tho, I kind of panicked because this wasn't a good time for the e-mail to go down.

FYI
DOUGNC, you need to backup your info store with a proper backup program. This "commits the logs" to the database and will remove all those 5mb files. There are heaps of posts and articles relating to this.

cheers

Also, just found this out, if you have an stores in an unmounted state while you are performing a full backup, the log files will NOT be cleared, because Exchange is worried it might remove too much data...

Moral of the story:

NEVER DELETE THE LOG FILES WITHOUT BACKING THEM UP FIRST!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back