Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Equivalent for MySQL-Front on MSSQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArferMo

Programmer
Mar 11, 2005
GB
Hi could you advise me please as to what the equivalent to MySQL-Front for use on MySQL is for Microsoft SQL.

I have tried a few things which allow me to do everything down to Column level but the bit that I really need is to be able to browse the records both viewing and editing them.

Do you mean the ability to overtype records in the query analyser?

If so, I'm certainly not aware that is possible with MS-SQL.

(I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows better though)

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

In Enterprise Manager or Management Studio right click on the table and select Edit. This will bring up the table so you can edit the data.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Admin (SQL 2005/2008) / Database Dev (SQL 2005)

My Blog

When you are viewing a table in MySQL-Front on a MySQL database you have the table structure in the window pane and at the top of that pane you have some buttons one switches from structure view where you see a list of the column names and data types to Data View where you see the actual records with the live data a bit like running a select all query.

Its this last ability that I am looking for in an MSSQL viewer.

SQL Server doesn't have anything like that. Editing data and modifying the schema are two different processes and are handled two different ways.

What version of SQL Server are you using? The version you have will dictate how you can view the data.

Denny
MVP
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2008 Implementation and Maintenance / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

If you are using SQL Server Express 2005 the tool is SQL Server Management Studio Express.

This a "Management Studio" equivalent for the professional versions as well. I'm not sure what GUI tool (if any) was available for the previous "free" version for SQL Server, which was called MSDE.

Joe Schwarz
Custom Software Developer

I have been using SQL Server Management Studio Express and I am working on SQL servers up to V2008, I must admit to being more comfortable with MySQL.

SQL Server Management Studio Express seems to do everything except letting me browse and edit records which is what I really need to be doing at the moment.

If you right click on the table in the Object Explorer do you not get the option to "Edit Top 200 Rows"? It may be a different number than 200.

Denny
MVP

My Blog

I am running Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express V9.00.2047.00 and following MrDenny's suggestion I found that by right clicking on the table there was an option Open Tabel which then reveals the records :) Thanks all happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back