Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ePolicy 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditech

MIS
Jan 14, 2002
US
I am trying to set this up and having a lot of trouble. I am able to deploy the agent and setup task, but there are not updates going out to the clients and no automated update from the ftp site. Has anyone had similar issues with setup?

Hey there, I've just began looking into this product for work myself, so I'm not 100% sure about this. I believe you need SecureCast to download the updates. This is a download you can get off of website. The rest I can't help you with, we'll be demo'ing the product in the following month or so.

Heroes are Human because they seek to be more than Human.

I believe it has something to do with the way you "cascade" the updates. If you have everybody downloading from the Internet, that should be working. If you have one machine download the updates to a shared folder, make sure you're using the "Mirror Task" in VS to do this since NS does not download UPDATE.INI which VS 4.51 uses.

AVChap

If these are Windows NT/2000 clients, make sure that the clients are local administrators on the PC. Otherwise the updates won't install.

If they are pointing to a share on NT, make sure they have change rights to the share.

Like AVChap said, you need the update.ini file. If you are updating from a NT share, make sure that ini file is in the share folder.

I am using the mirror task on my workstation to download the updates to my NT share. However, you can manually copy the updates from their FTP site as long as you get the update.ini file too.

I hope this helps. I have been using ePO for almost two years. I love it!! It has made my job much easier...

Mary
mkpierson@cnasurety.com

Thanks for all the advice, I now have the clients updating the virus definitions off the server, but NetShield will not update the engine and the scheduled task for ePO to autoupdate from the FTP site is not happening. I know it is scheduled correctly because all other tasks run. Any ideas.

There should be a log file that provides info about the autoupdate task. The log file location can be found by clicking the "Settings" button of the task and then selecting the "Report" tab. By default, I believe, it will be in

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Update.txt"

You can also specify "Verbose logging" there for more detailed info.

You cannot run an AutoUpgrade from the FTP site. You'll need to do several steps to execute AutoUpgrade:

1. Download SDATxxxx.exe and rename to SETUP.EXE
2. Download AUTOUPG.ZIP from the same page and extract to the directory where SETUP.EXE is (use the x86\McAfee set)
3. Point your AutoUpgrade task to this directory (has to be shared)

Hope this helps.

AVChap

I am running ePO 2.5 on a W2k server. I have clients that range from 95, 98se, NT4, 2k, & XP.

I have been able to push the agent succesfully with no problems. But the task scheduling is a major issue. I can schedule a task with no problem.... but it runs sporadically. 1 machine in 5 will run the task, and it's all over the map timing wise. I can have the task set to run at say 5:00 pm, 1 machine will run it at 5:00, another at 5:30, another at some other time.. and the rest do nothing.

Is this a typcial experience with this software? I'm not trying to do anything fancy with it, just push dat updates.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Forgot to mention, I am running VS 4.5.1a on the client machines.

Chris

VS 4.5.1a? That's the first I've heard of that version :).

As for the timing, make sure you didn't check the "randomization window". Also check the internal clocks on the workstations.

While you're at it, look at the agent logs. Might show whether those machines are communicating back to the ePO server.

AVChap

Ok, I have things running a little more smoothly now. *phew* (was starting to lose hair on this one).

Anyway, 4.5.1a is just 4.5.1 with the SP1 built into the install.

I didn't have randomization turned on. What I changed to make things run now is the configuration of the the agent under the policy tab. By default I guess it is set for the agent to only initiate connection to the server once an hour. Also, related to that I was not checking the option for "Run missed tasks". I can only assume from that, that when I was scheduling these test tasks, since they were before the 60 mins when the agent checked in, and I didn't tell it to run missed tasks, it wasn't getting the signal to do the autoupdate until after the schedule time, and then it just discarded the task since it's time had passed. Am I making sense? heh

I changed the agent check in setting to every 5 mins, and told it to run missed tasks.... and everything is running like clockwork now.

My only concern with this is bandwidth usage. Has anyone done any bandwidth test for both client machines and network usage with the agent set to check in every 5 mins?

My internal network run +/-300 machines, and I don't want it to be an issue.

Chris

Should you need any justification on how much traffic ePO generates during the day, NAI has a white paper or two that explains the finer details. I'm not sure if i can give you a copy but it would be better to ask your sales rep on this.

AVChap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back