Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPO Vs SMS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorTech

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
I am new to EPO and SMS , the question that has arisen recently is, why would we like to deploy EPO over SMS. What are some the benefits EPO might give that SMS may not be able to? Like updating DATs, we can sure do it via SMS. Then why deploy EPO.

I would appreciate if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Regards,

JuniorTech
garora@auburnalabama.org

No idea what SMS is - but the EPO is as good as it gets. It took me a few minutes to get my fingers around it, as it is so deep. Once you get it dialed in though - phew!.

We check for new DAT files every fifteen minutes and I have distributed repositories (installed on in house app servers at remote sites) setup which are updated immediatly after an update is found. Then, the client machines are setup to check their repository at login and every half hour after that. So it is randomized as people log in.

It does not use any network bandwidth with the compression that they use. Well, maybe just a little but nothing that is noticed. I look at my statistics and see a little bump.

I have backup repositories specified so if the server is down it goes somewhere else toget the DATs.

The only virus outbreak we have had is because the new DATS were not put out by macafee when we were infected. Once the DATS were there (about 1 hr after we were infected), we had the whole network up to date and scanned locally within 40 minutes. We have around 125 client PC's/servers.

q

You might be able to update DATs w/ SMS. It would seem to be a royal pain - re-running advertisements and such. You can deploy that actual AV client using either one. We happen to use ePo to do it.

What ePo gives you over SMS is the reporting. Yes, SMS gives you great reporting for machines, but not what is currently infecting them, DAT versions, Engine versions, or infection history.

EPo also gives you the option to set policies. I have notify user turned off because I hate getting calls when it displays a message that it cleaned a file.

All in all they are both great to use for what they were designed for. EPo is an SMS like tool for one product. I don't think I would try to use SMS to emulate ePo.

FYI - I'm an admin for both systems supporting ~3500 clients.

ditto what qtin said. SMS is a Pita from a reporting stance and getting the package built. ePO is much easier to use, and at the rate dat's are being released (3-4 a week) i wouldnt want to advertise each time in SMS, we also use radia but only use it to deploy dats/av in a emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back