Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ePO reporting on machines not running the agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfhelp

MIS
Jan 4, 2003
US
I am trying to get ePO to run the report that tells me what systems are not running the epO agent. I have two domains set up (one is an NT 4.0 domain and one is a W2K domain). There is a two-way trust between the domains, and WINS is set up to push/pull between the appropriate WINS servers in both domains.

All of the systems in the NT 4.0 domain are running the ePO agent and ePO talks to them fine. None of the systems in the W2K domain (W2K servers and XP workstations) are running the ePO agent, but when I run the report, it doesn't report any of those systems in the W2K domain not running the ePO agent.

I verified that my ePO server can browse to all the systems in the W2K domain. I also ran nslookups from the ePO server to ensure it could resolve the addresses of the W2K systems, and that works fine. I also verified that the push/pull WINS replication is working between the NT 4.0 and W2K domains.

Has anyone actually run this report and see it work? Does anyone know what technology ePO is using to determine what systems are not running the ePO agent? Does ePO use WINS, DNS, broadcasts to find systems not running the epO agent? I'm assuming whatever technology ePO is using is the same technology it users when you add a new computer to an ePO group and opt to have the ePO agent installed at the same time. Somehow, ePO is finding that system out there, even though it doesn't yet have the ePO agent installed on it. My question is . . . how is ePO finding that system?

Did you add the computers to Epo???
If not, thats your problem!

/Dkmart

Yeah, I had tried to add the computers to ePO and push the agent.
I think I discovered the problem. We copied our lab Windows accounts from the NT 4.0 domain to our W2K domain, and apparently, the ePO service needs admin rights to report on computers not running the ePO agent. I was thinking ePO merely attempted to talk to port 80 to determine if the ePO agent was installed, rather than needing admin rights, but . . . I guess that's not the case. What I had to do is migrate the ePO server from the NT 4.0 domain to the W2K domain and ensure the epO service account (in the W2K domain) had the necessary rights to the computers in the W2K domain, and I allowed SID history to allow the ePO service account in the W2K domain to have admin rights to the computers in the NT 4.0 domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back