Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Epo 4.5 Server externally facing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillyx0101

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2010
GB
Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to Epo - the previous administrator of the company has set the Epo server externally facing (what I mean by this is that the IP address is not behind the firewall or in the DMZ i.e. off site I can access the console I think this was setup like this because of the complication with multiple firewalls/subnets across the site- and allowing laptops to connect off site. My question is that although everything is running well, and ideally from a security perspective it would be best to set up epo server in the dmz and perhaps use agent handlers. Is the current setup still ok? I think I read in some Mcafee guides a while back that epo server can sit anywhere in an organisations network?.. or is this a big NO NO! There's not much info. in the install guide or web in terms of where the server can "sit" in the organisation!
Epo 4.5
1500 Clients
VSE 8.7

We are running the same client/server software and versions but keep epo's console internal. Every year we update the client (unless some major upgrade comes out where we'd ask our external users to come in to get manually updated) on our image and send them out.

We have a main repository per building and many fallback ones in case one is down. As far as our permanent outside users, the last two fallbacks download updates directly from McAfee (also set as the last two on all internal ones to, not that it would ever happen).

How many outside users do you have, how often do you reimage?

If there isn't a real big need, then I'd disable outside access in external DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back