Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPO 3.0.2a & VSE8.0i p11

Status
Not open for further replies.

FengTeo

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
AU
Hey all.

Just like to start off by saying what a help this forum has been so far!!!

Our company is in the process of planning an upgrade from EPO 3.0.2a to 3.5 and VS 4.5.1 SP1 to VSE 8.0i p11. Currently we have a couple of VSE8 clients running on a few users (as guinea pigs) and I was wondering whether it was possible to create an autoupdate task to update the DAT files on the VSE8 clients within EPO 3.0.2a.

I've tried creating it using the Epolicy Orchestrator Agent task (update) but it's just a task to update the EPO agent.

Also, has anyone encountered sluggishness with VSE8p11 on their desktop clients? We're running a syspreped Ghost image with WinXP SP2, Office 2003, P4 3GHz with 512MB RAM. We installed VSE8 on one user's PC and he reported noticable sluggishness in browsing network drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Feng

I wonder if I've been experiencing the sluggishness in browsing network drives as well. On my PC and on my test PCs (Running VSE8.0i and Patch 11), I tried coping a simple notepad text file from one PC to another and saw my PC froze for 30 seconds before I was able to copy it over. The text file was small...no more than 10 kb.

Thank goodness I haven't rolled it out to end-users yet!

I'll have to monitor my PCs more often to see if it was a freak occurance.

Hey VictorySabre

I noticed the slowness when copying via the network as well... in fact, just listing directories with lots of files in it. Doesn't seem to be an issue with local files.

Will also keep an eye on it.

Cheers
Feng

have you set it to scan network drives or only local drives?

On my client it's set to scan local only. I noticed this time around that I did another complete uninstall of VSE8, and reinstalled manually (patch 1) and upgraded to patch 11 manually... last time it was Patch 1, then 10 then 11.

I had a bundled (Installation Designer) version of VSE8 w/Patch 10 then upgraded when Patch 11 came out.

There is an Update DAT task that is used to keep DATs up to date. I am currently using it with ePo 3.02a and 8.0i and it works great.

I'm set to local read/write scanning only. No network scans. Only noticed the performance drop while connecting to remote locations after installing Patch 11.

I had performed a clean install of VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i, then applied patches 4, 7, 8 and 9. I skipped Patch 10 because I heard some people reported some problems with Patch 10. When Patch 11 came out, I installed that.

I'm going to try removing and reinstalling VSE 8.0 back the way it was to see if performance improves.

Just cross posting here...

@VictorySabre: Just a followup on what NAI support told me to try:

From NAI:
Can we try the following.

1) Disable Buffer overflow- do this in the VSE console.
(Should not require a reboot)

2) Replace the NaiAvf5x.sys(depends on the OS) with Vse 8.0i patch 10's filter driver version. You can locate this file in the system32\drivers folder. Copy one from the patch 10 machine and place it on the patch 11 machine.

Worked a treat on our XP boxes which had this network delay latency issue. Installed p10, extracted the file, upgraded to p11 and copied over the NaiAvf5x.sys file over an restarted.

The logon script now processes fine, and all network traffic and network based applications respond normally.

Hopefully they resolve this in p12!

Oh...

@Aeaden: could I trouble you to post a screenshot of what you have for your autoupdate task for VSE8 in ePO 3.0.2a?

Thanks.

FengTeo,

I'm not sure if I want to use the NaiAvf5x.sys file from Patch 10 because I had basically gone up to Patch 9 and avoided Patch 10 because some people had reported blue screens and other bad stuff with Patch 10. I was originally going to skip Patch 11 as well, but because Patch 11 fixes an issue with PatchLink, I was compelled to test it out on my test PCs.

I haven't been able to reproduce the sluggish network connections so for now, I'm just monitoring the situation on my PC.

@VictorySabre: I totally agree with you on that one. We have noted to NAI that we'll wait until patch 12 is released before performing any rollout of VSE8. We also require patch 11 as it fixes issues with our third party framing software (ScriptScan causing 3rd party scripting applications to crash)

Can I suggest that those of you who are not using AV8.0i yet, download the latest version from NAI which includes patch 10. Worked a treat for me as I experienced the problems rolling out patch 10 before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back