Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EPN Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodialtone

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
US
I currently have a multi-carrier cabinet which I want to connect to an EPN. I have in inventory some single carrier cabinets, is it possible to use a single carrier cabinet as the EPN cabinet using the expansion interface slots in both cabinets. I have budget approved for the purchase of an EPN cabinet but if possible I would like to use inventory items.

Thanks

mainepe (IS/IT--Manageme) Nov 22, 2000
One high-end solution is to install an Expansion Port Network (EPN) in the remote office. Interconnection choice depends on distance between offices and call volume. EPN is same technology used to expand PBX for more ports; these connect to Processor Port Network (PPN) via expansion cards, in star topology. Remote node is electrically & functionally part&parcel of home PBX; UDP, features, Audix, existing trunks, extension range, etc. PPN provides switching fabric & overall control. Leased T-1 interconnect only good for less than 75 miles; other physical layer options include fiber. I think PEC code 63335A is the expansion interface card; comes in variety of physical layer flavors, and maybe also in ISDN. Since switch fabric is in PPN, switching activity drives inter-node bandwidth requirements, which in turn drives interconnect physical layer choice. Could also install new PPN at remote node, and DCS the two PBXs together, then direct remote node calls toward existing trunks via AAR; DCS interconnect enables use of existing dial plan/extensions. What about using Definity Extenders, and ISDN-BRI?
Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

If you're single carrier cabinet is a J58890N Expansion Control Cabinet, the answer is yes.(the J number should be on the back)
An J58890N Expansion Control Cabinet does not hold a Processor or a Netcon Circuit Pack.

The Expansion Control Cabinet contains ports, a tone-clock, an interface to a port cabinet, and a maintenance interface.
The Expansion Control Cabinet is the first in an EPN stack of SCCs. It has optional port circuit packs in port slots 2 to 17.

On the back of the Cabinet you would have 1 to 17 25-pair connectors connect port circuit packs to the cross-connect field or a fiber transceiver.

One AUX (Auxiliary) connector to Provides interface for customer alarms, attendant console power, and emergency power transfer panels

One TERM (Terminal) connector to Connects an administration terminal to the maintenance circuit pack.

For more details look in the DEFINITY Enterprise Communications Server System Description doc nr. 555-233-200.
Please let me know if the information that was provided is helpfull.
Edwin Plat
A.K.A. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back