Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EOL on CS1K

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLSbutton

Technical User
Mar 2, 2010
US
Has anyone heard when the End of Life is going to be for the CS1K? BCM is bound to be ended soon, now what about CS1000?

The 1100 series IP phones far outweigh the Avaya sets, but it sounds like these phones will reach their end destiny soon and Avaya sets will go forward....not fun!

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

It's still going to Succession 7.0. But I heard that may be the last release.

Now if Avaya, can intertwine a phone that bridges the Nortel features and Avaya features....ie. Nortel Ring tones and Nortel features with Avaya functions.....it would be a perfect world.

I see Avaya scrapping the Nortel Ring Tones though.....and lost will be some of the best tones in the world....users will now have to settle for the chirp like Avaya/Cisco ring tones.....not a big deal I know....but that is what most end users decipher most with their phone, the ring tone!

CS1000 7.5 is due out sometime in Novemember or early December. After that its anyones guess. Migrate to Aura I suppose may be the answer.

Considering everything is moving towards SIP and the 1100's and 1200's run on the Avaya with a SIP load now, I wouldn't worry about the sets going anywhere any time soon.

Sounds good Scott,

So I am running a Nortel BCM 6.0 at home now.....how difficult would it be for me to run a small CS1000 at home down the road? I feel like I've learned everything and anything about the BCM and I am up for the CS1000 challenge. There are a lot of things that I wish the BCM would do, but only the CS1K offers it and the BCM may not be around all that long.

Thank you,

Joe

I have heard that there may be an 8.0 before the Session Manager comes into play.

We have heard seven years before the CS1k is EOL ... I thought they were keeping the BCM for the small users. Anyway, yes, that would mean 8.0 or even above that before we are *forced* to move on. I agree with the SIP flash being available for the 1100 series - I thought you could even run SIP on the i2000 series but those are 'supposedly' EOL already.

Currently nortel personel is talking about Release 8 to be released in a few years. say its released 2014, it will have service life time of 6 years = 2020.

From all the people that have been throwing dates around:

6.0 EOL 2015
7.0 (already GA) EOL 2016

Rumors, Succession line will be dropped in 2011 and no longer developed.

So Succession is the same as CS1000 correct? So the product is going to be dropped in 2011? What the heck is Avaya thinking? So they are just weeding out all the Nortel product line after all?

Same.

Some of the customers on the fence are now rethinking if they want to invest in Avaya or just go Cisco, since either way they would scrap their existing PBX and replace it, unless they are already voip.

The customers that seem to lean toward Cisco are thinking that CISCO is a better choice for the Name alone....

I guess they are looking at the investment, not functionality.

Personally, I don't think Avaya is big into R&D.

@Triton101 - The "Succession" term was actually dropped a couple of years ago.

good point gwebster, can't use the old terminology

Nortel Communication Server 1000

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back