Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entry Level Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronRocket

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US
I am currently a supervisor in a data center and am wondering how I can make the jump from supervisor to an entry-level java developer. I don't have any experience but I studied it on my own and feel like I can make a career change. But how???

Check with your development group and see if they have an intership available. Maybe you can work for them for free for a month or two after hours then move into a junior role if they like you.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Another way is to see if there is a need for an application within your company. If you can then design, develop and test it and get it used by the appropriate staff, this will raise your profile and maybe more things will come as a result of this. This will help raise your profile if it comes to making a full time switch.

John

Use some brainstorming and come up with an application in Java that solves a business problem in your workplace or provides some information or service they aren't getting now.

It could be something simple as a specialized contact list or something that automates tasks that network admins or help desk support perform.

More than likely there are all kinds of applications right under your nose that are crying out to be created.

One thing to note, if you decide to write an application for your company and you have a development group internally, be sure to check with them before releasing it into the wild. Depending on your workplace you may even need to check with them before starting on it. Basically that would have to be your call, but if your trying to gain a little respect and display proof of your ability, the last thing you will want to do is alienate the development staff by pushing something out that they haven't worked on yet (either due to time, workload, lack of vision, knowledge that the customer requirements don't fit the actual need, etc) and that they would subsequently have to support. Probably the worst thing you could do is work on an application on your own and release it inside your company on a Friday afternoon without ever mentioning it to the development/support team(s).

Sorry, it was the first thing that popped into my head after the above solutions :)

Tarwn, good point, however, I'd have concerns that the "development" group would agree to someone else writing an application, whether it worked or not.

I worked in an environment previously where you had to work in a certain department under a certain person to develop any company applications. It didn't matter if you were the world's greatest programmer or you wrote the world's greatest app.

Perhaps if you developed such an application, you could support it too?

This is why I suggested it would be a small application and not something that would rub too many people the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back