Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise Backup system software coparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

password

MIS
Mar 21, 2000
GB
Dear All :
greeting
i'm planning for enterprize backup system for my corporate , i have more that 1TB daily backup ,and i want to evalute the current backup software such as ARCServe, Veritas ..etc , to choose one of them .
any one have a new coparison study , a mong backup sotware will be appreciated ,
any one know sites ,forum ,sheets , that could help me will be appreciated
than in advance
qut kh

Hi

Make sure that you evaluate CommVault Galaxy....I've had experience with most of the vendors & personally I think that Galaxy is way ahead of the rest :)

thank you ,but i need to convence my CIO by competitive study,do you have?

You can do all the research in the world on which vendor is best. What it is all going to come down to is what will meet your needs. You will have to ask yourself questions like:

1. Do I need to do full backups all the time?
2. What is my Recovery Point and Recovery Time objectives?
3. Will I need to do SAN based backup for my larger servers?
4. What can I afford?

etc....

There are businesses out there that will do a survey of your environment and recommend a solution that best fits your needs. One of the company names is Dimension Data.

We started with CA and went to Legato. I will be implementing Galaxy over the coming weeks and can't wait. You want a product that has many options, and in my opinion Galaxy offers the best possibility. While it may vary from business to business, the fact remains that it is a rock solid product. Tell you CIO to reference Gartner for research on Commvault.

I've used Legato & Veritas Netbackup in large telco companies & now using Galaxy....been the best for me so far in all areas.

Get in touch with CommVault and ask them for reports between the different vendors....I know they have some.

Bakbone Netvault is also good. But like comtec17 said, it really depends on your needs and price point.

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

I use networker and i feel its the fastest and simplest one out there, however reporting and tape managment is not so strong, you may need to suppliment that areas by thrid party, i have also recovered over for over 4 years the legato system in DR, not much problem there, does your backup software work with unix, mac, windows, linux clients at the same time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back