Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise antivirus managability

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorterVal

MIS
Aug 3, 2005
US
Rating antivirus products on how many virus' they caught is almost meaningless if they are not backed with a reliable enterprise management console that reliably updates, provides statistics and allows clients to be managed. This is the problem we've had with McAffee and Trend, their management consoles suck. Performing an enterprise version upgrade in Trend has been excruciatingly painful and using log on scripts to wake up their clients is a pain, especially when 30% - 40% of the clients still don't respond.

What vendor has an antivirus product with a reliable, useful enterprise management interface?

Well - I've had good success with Trend CSM, never nothing more than a minor glitch here or there, nothing major. I feel their console works OK, my only complaint would be the search feature for quarantined Spam.

With the client communication issue - I would think there is something else happening in the network: DNS issues or perhaps soft firewalls blocking the Trend ports.

For enterprise AV, I've had good success with Sophos, although their current rev seems to have had more complaints than usual.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Unfortunately, we've gone back and forth several times with Trend tech support and the fixes they suggest don't work.

I can't believe you've used McAfee or ePolicy and say it sucks. I use it and I can't find anything that will match it. How long ago has it been since you used McAfee's management console? You might want to check out the beta version of ePolicy 3.6.

Yep, although it has a number of quirks I'm also pretty happy with ePO nowadays (although I might have said different in the days of the 2.x version ...)

yeah, I've used EPO 3.0/3.2/3.5 and now I'm with a smaller company and use Protection pilot... just a less robust version of EPO... it's a great product.. .lots of features and they are constantly upgrading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back