Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enterprise Anti Spyware suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akroma

Technical User
Apr 14, 2005
CA
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking into implementing an Enterprise anti spyware system at our site, but i'm being lead astray by the reviews out there. My main concerns are:
- Excellent administrative (console) managability & reporting.
- Client scans by console
- high findings/cleaning of spyware, rogue software, ads.
for a ~300 user site (Windows).

Does anyone have recommendations and/or experience in using an Enterprise anti spyware?
Thanks,

Sophos is my #1 pick but very expensive. #2 pick is McAfee. We dropped CA this year because of the overhead (RAM, hard drive space, etc.) but it works.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

We run McAfee A/S on our Sonicwall and I'm not impressed. For the first time in years, I had to deal with spyware. It was one of those sites that pop up a balloon saying "YOUR PC IS INFECTED!!! CLICK HERE TO CLEAN NOW!!!" and the only options to close the popup (besides Ctrl+W) resulted in inadvertent download and install of MalwareAlarm, a ransomware program that bugs you to buy it, and contains all kinds of nasties. Took me about an hour to fully remove it.

This was on a machine running Firefox, my office default browser since 0.9 version. Firefox has single-handedly killed the spyware plague in my office, no ActiveX controls and AdBlock was installed as an add-on keeps my "crazy-clicker" users (and my sanity) safe. Years before the Sonicwall, we were keeping ourselves safe with Firefox.

The one thing I really like about McAfee is that it does run on the Sonicwall, so no overhead on inter-office networking. Other than this one slip, it's been OK I guess. I would recommend looking into an appliance that handles A/S at the gateway if feasible.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I have used Trend Micro products and they work great. OfficeScan included Anti-spyware protection and Trend is who Cisco uses for their self-defending networks so if you have an adaptave security applicance from Cisco you could add the Trend module to have less impact on your desktops.

I also have CA eTrust A/V on the server, McAfee on the gateway as mentioned, and Symantec on the local machines, but that still did not protect me from a recent "UPS Paket" email attachment trojan. So, I have had it with all three. Next time I will look at Sophos, of the major players only Sophos had discovered this trojan in time to update & protect their customers. When a trojan gets by THREE A/V scanners it's time for a change.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yeah, you would THINK that if you had 3 different AV engines at different locations, that one would indeed catch the problem. Scary.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back