Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Entering the Hash key # in a Clipper application

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMozley

Programmer
Oct 15, 2005
GB
I am running an old Clipper 5.2e application. It had been running in a cmd window under Windows XP. I now have a 32-bit Windows 7 machine and the program will still run in a Command window. My keyboard is (I believe) a standard UK Keyboard with the key on the right just to the left of the enter key and above the Shift key containing the Hash key (#) with the Tilde (~) above it.

The application has some sequences where the user can use this hash key. If I fire up the command prompt and press the hash key this correctly echoes. If however I then invoke my application I find if I press the hash key (within a standard GET sequence) it is echoing as backslash (\). This did not hapen under Windows XP, and I do not believe that I have anything in my program which changes the keyboard.

If I then exit from my program, back to the command prompt, the hash key echoes correctly.

I realise that I can persuade my users to work round this by pressing the sterling (£) sign within my application, an d that this will echo as a hash (#), but I would prefer not to have to make them change their way of working.

Grateful for any suggestions

Hi Andrew,

I assume (win7) Configuration->Country&Language->Keyboard&Language->Change Keyboards is set correctly at your users' station, then with CA-Clipper Tools' SCANKEY() the key can be identified in order to install automatic translation with the SETKXLAT() function; else a wrapper for INKEY() could be installed, capturing the old key and programmatorically changing it into the desired one; Nanforum Tools' FT_PUTKEY() and FT_LASTKEY() can be used for that purpose

btw, Nanforum Tools also contains FT_SCANCODE(), no experience with that one however

Best regards,

Frank

Thanks Frank. I will investigate that. How do I get into Windows 7 | Configuration | Country and Language ?

Forgive me - I have effectively duplicated my message on this Tek-Tips website - thought it had got lost. Andrew

Hi again,

I'm finding out it has different English names (i'm using a dutch version)

btw, I always find it convenient to change Menu Start Properties to enable 'Control Panel' (Configuration) as a menu (Menu Start Tab->change|Control Panel->display as menu)

From there 'Clock, Language, and Region' (the same dialog where to change Notation (for hour, date, currency, etc)) - 'Keyboards and Languages' is a Tab in that dialog

Best regards,

Frank

Sorry Frank. I would certainly like to get into the "Clock, Language and Region" screen, as you suggest, but am struggling to follow your guidance.

How do I change the Menu Start Properties to enable 'Control Panel' as a menu?

You have suggested that that I perform (Menu Start Tab->change|Control Panel->display as menu). How do I do that? I am looking at the Windows 7 desktop. What keys do I need to press to change the menu start properties as you describe?

Andrew

Come on,

Right-click on Start button, select properties in the context popup, etc ...

otoh, there are numerous ways to get into the Control Panel, using Start Menu is just one way

for the rest, 'Clock, Language and Region' is a googled assumption, since i have no international window7

Google is (also) your friend, as they say

Frank

I would imagine that getting the @ symbol is equally difficult.

I THINK this is a setting for programes that don't use unicode, which is under
the region and language settings.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are not good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back