Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enter provisioning details are showing after reset to default Avaya j169 phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apurv Tewari

Vendor
Nov 25, 2023
IN
hi, i am using Avaya j169 phone, and i am using DHCP server for IPs allocation, my problem is, after doing "reset to default" setting in my phone and after pressing "NO" for "Auto provisioning", my phone is showing the message of "waiting for DHCP" and then "Enter provisioning details" and showing 3 options - CONFIG, NEVER, cancel. if i choose Never/Cancel, after reboot phone start showing the error message - "Acquiring Services" and in Config option phone is asking for Https address and group. in any case phone is showing Acquiring Services message. and m not able to use this phone.
Selected_photo_eq0tg6.jpg
MicrosoftTeams-image_hwlrdx.jpg

It looks like this phone may have firmware in it for connection to ACO (Avaya Cloud Office) only. Sorry, I don't know what the different part numbers are but from what you describe I think you have received the wrong type of J169.

Do you have other J series phones on your system that are working? What happens if you go into the config and input the settings for the IPO manually ?

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Although the different versions are not shown on the datasheet I found

Avaya J169 3PCC IP Phone (700513636) ACO, 3rd party etc NOT IP Office or Aura

Avaya J169 IP Phone (700513634) Aura, IP Office 11.0+

I use ACO J179 and J139 in my case. I can use the phone in an IP Office environment. The phone must be reset to defaults.
Having DHCP enabled in the IP Office will force a firmware upload to the phone and it works as any other J series phone.
If I reset the phone and turn off my DHCP it will go to the cloud and pull the ACO firmware.

For this issue, do you have the FQDN and SIP domain populated on the System>LAN tab. Also verify you have the DNS IP configured.
This will set your 46xxsetting.txt file with the information it needs to register.
If your using an external DHCP server, ensure you have the Option 242 scope configured correctly. MCIPADD=192.168.42.1,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=192.168.42.1,VLANTEST=0

i am not that tech savvy, but in our office we are having around 30 avaya j169 phones on the same LAN and all are working correctly except 3 phones which i have reset to default. and after reset to default phone is showing the message acquiring services.
yes, i hv configured DNS, and 242 setting correctly, actually i have copied all the required settings from other phones, i have a doubt regarding DHCP server.. i think these 3 phones are not registering DHCP server correctly that's why this error acquiring services is coming.
Please help guys..

Then something is not configured correctly on the physical port they are connected to.
Make sure they are untagged and the correct VLAN is assigned.
Does the phone boot up in a known good phones jack?

I have tried on different LAN port in the office too, even i have tried directly from POE switch, problem only come when i reset these phones to reset to default, earlier these phones were working correctly. vlan is assigned correctly, phone jack is also good, in other phones we just have to enter the lan cable, then phone configured itself after registering dhcp server. problem is coming only after getting phone reset to default. after waiting for dhcp message, phone starts to show enter provisioning details.

When you reset the phones, did you get a "use provisioning" message? You should answer NO to this.

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it.
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH'.
The paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”

Terry Pratchet

YES, i am selecting NO for that, after this phone is showing waiting for DHCP message and then rather going forward it shows the message of enter provisioning details, i have read the avaya doccument, pl read for ref:

Source:
About this task
You can enter the provisioning server address on the phones when the phone displays the Enter provisioning details screen.
Before you begin
Obtain the provisioning server address from the system administrator.
Procedure
1. When you boot the phone for the first time, the Auto Provisioning screen displays Do you want to activate Auto Provisioning now?, press one of the following:
o Yes: To connect to the Device Enrollment Services server to obtain the provisioning server address and ignore the provisioning server address from the DHCP.
o No: To obtain the provisioning server address from the DHCP server.
In case of a time out, and the DHCP does not provide the provisioning server address, the phone selects Yes.
If the connection to Device Enrollment Services is successful, and the phone receives the provisioning server address, the phone continues to boot and not prompt you for the provisioning server address.
If the connection to Device Enrollment Services is successful, and the phone does not receive the provisioning server address from Device Enrollment Services, the phone prompts you for a Numeric Enrollment code. Contact your administrator for a numeric enrollment code. When you enter the valid numeric enrollment code, the phone continues to boot and not prompt you for the provisioning server address.
If you do not have a numeric enrollment code, press Cancel. The phone continues to boot using the DHCP.
The phone displays the Starting message. If the phone does not receive the provisioning server address from the Device Enrollment Services or the DHCP server, the phone displays the Enter provisioning details screen.
2. On Enter provisioning details screen, press one of the following:
o Config: To enter the provisioning server address.
o Never: To never prompt for the provisioning server address.
o Cancel: To cancel the prompt and display the Login screen.
o
4. After you press Config, enter the provisioning server address in the Address field.
The address is an alphanumeric URL. For example, Tip:
To enter the dot symbol (.) in the field, press the alphanumeric soft key to toggle to the ABC mode.
To enter the forward-slash symbol (/) in the field, press the / soft key.
5. Optional Enter the Group number.
Obtain the Group number from your system administrator. The value ranges from 0 to 999. If you do not enter a value, the phone uses the default value of 0.
6. Press Save.
The phone continues the boot process and connects to the provisioning server.

i am uploading some snapshots for the whole process..

5_mur6k0.jpg
3_yhtniq.jpg
4_dcqrbj.jpg
6_wffrh6.jpg
1_v9wzvi.jpg
2_f7oyhs.jpg

You shouldn't have to enter provision details if the DHCP scope 242 is setup correctly.
This will put the phone in the correct vlan and connect to the server using the httpserver address you defined.

If your case since it's not provisioning, enter the server info manually. For the SIP proxy enter the IP of the IP Office.
In the Admin screen, setup the server info, SIP proxy, etc...

If the 46xxsettings.txt file is being autogenerated, but the IPO is not the DHCP server, and you don't have an Option 242 string, catch the phone at the Auto Provisioning question, answering NO, then press Admin, put in 27238 but DON'T press #, press Enter instead. Now IP Configuration > Servers > HTTP (NOT HTTPS)> Backspace out the 0.0.0.0 entry and input the IPO's IP address. Save > Back > Back, phone will restart, reach out to the IPO to get the 46xxsettings.txt file and configure itself from there. When the phone displays "Waiting for DHCP" it actually HAS acquired a DHCP address, it is currently receiving files such as firmware.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply, i have tried something on one of my defected phone. i simply switched off the DHCP server on the phone and after the restart, switched on the dhcp server and restart the phone, dont know how, but this worked for me, this phone has logged in successfully. now trying this method on rest defected phones, let's see if the same method work. I think DHCP server was not configuring correctly, that's why this acquiring services message was coming.

also sharing some pics of sip proxy list, read this on Avaya troubleshoot file.

Earlier it was like this:
MicrosoftTeams-image_2_svtmxs.jpg

and after switching off and on DHCP server it is like this:

MicrosoftTeams-image_3_ve6xkq.jpg

if the circle is filled with white dot, it means all network configured successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back