Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

enrich dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

simula

Technical User
Jul 7, 2006
GR
hello

can anyone tell me how can I enrich default ms office dictionary?

I have my own custom greek dictionary

I want to compare it with msoffice's dictionary

then, I will add the words that arent already included into msoffice's dictionary

ofcourse I want to add them in batch, not manually

any ideas?

thank you!

PS: I tried to use my custom dictionary, but its 7MB and makes msoffice freeze when it tries to spell check with it
this dictionary can be used flawlessly with a notepad replacement program, pspad
does this make sense? am I doing something wrong? how can a small program run a 7Mb dictionary and msoffice cannot?

Probably Microsoft don't like unauthorised add-ons, people loading their own dictionary lists into their product. There may be no better way than manually adding from your own list whenever Microsoft Word does not recognise it.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

thank you for your reply

unfortunately, since I need medical terms in my dictionary, I will have to add many words

and its painful to add them one by one, a batch way would be wishful

Try to google for "greek medical dictionary" and "ms word", there are commercial spellcheckers available that integrate with office.

combo

Just curious. have you tried making a text file (using Notepad, or pspad...whatever) of your terms, saving it as .DIC, and then loading it.

How exactly were you making your custom dictionary?

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

I just put one above the other the words, like this:

word1
word2
word3

isnt this the proper format?

last, I save it in notepad txt file

simula, 2 things:

1. You didn't fully answer his question. How are you saving the thing? How are you going about integrating with Word?

2. Also, as combo said, "there are commercial spellcheckers available that integrate with office." Take a little time to research them on the Web like he suggested. I'm sure they are cheap. You might even find a free one.

Good luck.

Greg Norris
Software Developer & all around swell guy

thank you for your replies

I am saving the file in notepad, I dont choose any particular parameters to save the file

I am integrating in word using the CUSTOM.DIC choice in spellcheck options

I cant find a commercial or free greek one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back