Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enlarging an array

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickballmvp2006

Technical User
Jan 4, 2007
US
I have an IBM 5100 series server that I want to expand
the hard drive capacity of. The C drive has two 9GB hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration. The D drive has three 9GB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. Then there is one 9GB drive that is a hot spare (so six 9GB drives in all).

I want to upgrade so that the C drive is 20 - 30GB and the D drive is 80 - 100GB.

Here is how I believe I would do it:
I understand for the C drive I need two 20GB drives and I would need three 40GB drives for the D drive (or am I wrong?)

I'm not totally sure about what the hot spare would be (20 GB or 40GB).

I believe that would take care of what parts I need to order.

Now onto installing the drives.

Since it's an IBM server, it has the ServeRAID Manager software installed. How would I go about replacing the drives in the C and D drives with the new hard disks? Since they are hot swappable, I wouldn't think any reboots would be needed. Is it as easy as swapping one drive out with another, letting it rebuild, until I have all the new drives in place and then using something like partition magic to expand the partitions?

Help is much appreciated.

Yes, you would mark a drive defunct in the raid manager, right click on it, then replace that drive with the larger drive and let it rebuild. Repeat.

Once all that is done extend the partition in the OS to include the new space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back