Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Enhanced Editor on UNIX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnysnow

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
This should be an easy question.

Does UNIX SAS have an Enhanced Editor window?

I just moved from a job using SAS on Windows to one that runs SAS on UNIX. By default, I don't get an Enhanced Editor window, and I can't find any options that seem to start one.

I'm suspecting that maybe UNIX SAS doesn't have the Enhanced Editor. But I can't find any direct reference to this in SAS documentation or on their web site.

Anyone?

As far as I'm aware, there is no enhanced editor available on Unix.
As an alternative, I believe that Ultra Edit has SAS syntax highlighting, but I think that might be a text editor you have to pay for. Sorry I can't be more help.

Chris
Business Analyst, Code Monkey, Data Wrangler.
SAS Guru.

It definitely exists...i used it while on a contract surveilling stock market activity. Here's what it looks like, the windows (editor, log, output) are disjoint, you can arrange them however you want...ask your sas administrator if the display manager is installed.

Otherwise like chris says, ultra edit is an excellent alternative. TextPad is also very good and has syntax hilighting...it's free.

Thanks, Sastronaut!

I looked at the documentation you posted, and I only see mention of the Program Editor, SAS's "old" editor. I couldn't find any mention of the Enhanced Editor. You may have missed this distinction.

I'm going to go with ChrisW75's reply and assume that UNIX SAS has no built-in Enhanced Editor.

ok, do you want to run your sas programs in batch mode or interactve...i'm not sure what distinction you are making regarding the enhanced editor, do you want to be able to see you log, output, run programs, code segments in the same editor? if you are talking about interactive mode under unix, then what i'm saying is that there is one, i used it with sas 9.1, you'd have to contact your administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back